Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Michael Steinberg for Hillsborough DEC Chair


MICHAEL STEINBERG

Dear Fellow HCDEC Member:

I am pleased to announce my candidacy for chairman of the HCDEC. Below are my experience, qualifications, and goals for the next two years.

I am 48 years old, married, and have 3 children, two in college and my youngest is a senior in high school. I have a B.A. in Economics and a law degree, both from the University of Florida. I have been practicing law for over 25 years, primarily in the area of Social Security disability law. I also have handled a significant number of Veterans benefits cases, which I took on a pro bono basis.

My professional activities include membership on the military law committee of the Florida Bar Association, sustaining member of the National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives, member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association and past chairman of the Social Security section, and I am admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court, the 11th Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, the Middle, Northern and Southern U.S. Federal Districts Courts, and the U.S. Court of Veterans claims.

My governmental experience includes working as a traffic hearing officer and as a member of the Hillsborough County Healthcare Advisory Board, on which I currently serve.

I am also active in several social and community service organizations such as the Krewe of Sant’yago, the Ybor City Lions Club, Masons, Shriners, and Synogogue mens’ club.

I have had the unique experience of having run as a Democrat for public office in Hillsborough County. I have learned firsthand all aspects of a campaign including polling, walking precincts, fundraising, etc. I also have a good handle on the issues, both at the state and federal level.

I have been a member of the HCDEC since 2001. I have taken my position as precinct committeman seriously and made sure every Democrat and non-Republican was contacted prior to each primary and general election and encouraged to vote absentee, early, and/or on election day, and to vote Democrat.

In 2004, I was a delegate to the National Convention, I helped the HCDEC organize the precinct leader system, and was a member of Democratic clubs such as 537.

I have also contributed a lot of money to Democratic candidates, even when I was running for office myself. In addition, I have supported our Democratic Caucuses.

Last year I was chairperson for our Jefferson/ Jackson Dinner, an event where we raised considerable funds and honored our elected Democratic officeholders.

In addition, I have experience in public speaking I have given lectures at national Social Security Law conferences, have appeared on local and national television to discuss legal matters, and participated in debates as a candidate.

My goals for the HCDEC as chairman would be:

1. Raise $100,000.00 to GOTV for the 2008 election.
2. Increase membership and shoot for a committeeman and committeewoman for every precinct in the county.
3. Bring an elected Democratic public official to each meeting to speak and answer questions.
4. Put on another Jefferson/Jackson fundraiser.
5. Coordinate GOTV activities with other Democratic entities, such as clubs, organizations and candidate committees.
6. Put out an HCDEC newsletter (paper and online) to be sent out monthly, not only to members, but also to other involved Democrats.
7. Perform all the duties of Chair as set forth in the By-Laws.


To achieve the above goals the HCDEC will need a chairman who can and will make sure funds are available to pay the bills and who can devote the time to make sure the organization is run professionally and efficiently. I have a successful law practice with 12 employees. I am confident I will be able to help us achieve our financial goals. As the owner of my business, I can devote the necessary time to serve as chairman.

I’d appreciate your vote on January 22.


Michael Steinberg

No comments: